8th of April 2010: officemedium added
Collaboration is a structured, recursive process where two or more people work together toward a common goal — typically an intellectual endeavor that is creative in nature — by sharing knowledge, learning and building consensus. So why would i use such a “collab…” thing?
Reasons to use collaboration tools:
- Essay Writing
- Presentation Notes
- Cooking Recipes
- Organising your ideas
- Managing your Todos & Tasks
… and anything else you wish to keep track of
List updated on
- 28th may 2008: added Sosius
- 4th august 2008: added CollabTRAK
- 5th august 2008: added Spicebird
- 8th august 2008: added PBWiki, updated CollabTRAK
- 1st september 2008: added Homecourt
Most of them are free to use or low-cost collaboration tools. There are ranges from small monthly payments like at Basecamp to unique payments for activeCollab. Almost all of them come with different themes and languages.
To-Do lists and share
Lets you crate and share outliner documents, brainstorm ideas and call friends to get feedback and changes.
An easy to-do list tool for everything you need to keep track of.
Professionell Project Management
Spicebird is your one platform for many collaboration needs. It provides e-mail, calendaring and instant messaging with intuitive integration and unlimited extensibility.
Create your own wiki in minutes!
Sosius is a free online workspace, accessible from any PC or Mac, that lets you create and collaborate. No software to buy and set up. Powerful and flexible, yet easy to use.
is a web-based project-management tool developed by 37signals. It lets make you to-do lits, share files, track time and schedule milestones, but lacks in creating big documents and export. There are many plugins to extend it like basecode or quickcamp.
Redmine is a flexible project management web application. Written using Ruby on Rails framework, it is cross-platform and cross-database.
Redmine is open source and released under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). Its features are milestones, calenders, boards, wikis, document sharing, creating documents, ticket systems, activity histor, charts and more. Unfortunately there is no screenshot of it.
It was started as a basecamp clone and offers now a lot more feature and different pricings. An older version (0.7.x) is still available as open source.
is the the continuing development of the older activeCollab version. It is totally free and has really good feature, but misses two masterpieces: creating documents and versioning.
Achievo is an open source flexible web-based resource management tool that is suitable for any medium sized company that needs to keep track of its resources, projects, clients, contacts, planning and daily scheduling. Achievo’s core is available in more than 20 languages.
An Open Source collaborative software platform for file sharing, task management, team collaboration and Wiki editing that is available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Mindquarry runs as a web application with an optional desktop client for Windows, Linux and Mac OS that allows for desktop synchronization and offline work.
Allows you to code in parallel and share your code safely concentrated on results, not on lost changes or overwritten files. You get rapid collaboration in protected space. It comes with a basecamp integration, live preview.
ClockingIT is a free to use hosted application (written in Ruby on Rails), keeping track of all your tasks and the time you spend on them. It features time tracking & reports, milestones & due dates, tagging & search, timeline & activity log, notifications, wiki ans has no restrictions or limits.
Online design collaboration to share and review by clients. The interface allows you to quickly and easily switch between multiple concepts, review and markup, comment, manage participants and chat.
A free, flexible, easy to use web-based project tracker for web designers and their clients.
Homecourt is a way to communicate with clients more directly and effectively
OfficeMedium provides a very simplistic approach to the common business software requirements. Unlike most business software, their application is easy to use and stripped of over-complicated, unnecessary clutter.
- Thinkature - Real-time collaboration for the web.
- Zoho -Ultimative free suite for any kind of web-based working!
- StreberPM - a free wiki driven project management tool written in php5.
- Beanstalk - Beanstalk is a hosted Subversion system, making it easy to setup, browse, and track Subversion. Beanstalk has built-in integration with tools such as Basecamp, FogBugz, Campfire and more.
- dotProject - is open source pm tool which comes with handy features like gantt-charts
- Versionshelf - secure web-based subversion hosting.
- goplan - Another pm tool like basecamp and activeCollab
- Grassroots Collaboration Tools by Jonathan Boutelle
- The Best Collaboration Tools
- Online To Do Lists Compared by Frank Gruber
- Social and Business Collaboration Tools
- Whitepaper Collaboration Tools by Business Objects Germany GmbH
- UPDATE: Better SCM: CVS Alternatives
20 web-based business collaboration tools that lets make you breathless « business, tools « KnowTeBook - Webworkers Daily Milk