month. These are articles I found interesting or practical. I hope you
also find them useful.
- 500th Night Banquet 2014 by Admiral William H. McRaven. (video)
- “No More Noble Calling:” USSOCOM Commander Admiral William McRaven’s View of the US Army
- Professors, We Need You! by Nicholas Kristof.
- American Workers Are Way Behind by Michael E. Echols.
- How online education could mean a very few attain stardom by Clive Shepherd.
Competency-Based Degrees: Coming Soon to a Campus Near You by Joel Shapiro.
- Can social media increase the exposure of newly published research? by Dr Cameron Webb.
- Inside Amtrak’s (Absolutely Awesome) Plan to Give Free Rides to Writers by Ben Cosman.
- Why You Need a PLN, and How to Develop One: Resources Shared at #ASTDTK14 by David Kelly.
- To Look Straight Forward, pt1 by James Morganelli.
- Ready or Not by Allie Grasgreen.
- When May I Shoot a Student? by Greg Hampikian.
- Lunch Keynote: The Role of Learning Analytics in Improving Teaching and Learning with George Siemans. (video)
- Dutch kids have a different relationship to the bicycle by Zachary Shahan.
- Time: What We Really Believe In by Paul Flesher.
- What is on the Horizon Report for 2014? by Tubarks.
- How a High School Teacher Is ‘Gamifying’ World News by Alex Magdaleno.
- Frequent Tests Can Enhance College Learning, Study Finds by Benedict Carey.
- Data Science: The Numbers of Our Lives by Claire Cain Miller.
- Want Results? Champion the Informal by Jay Cross.
- Measuring Your Workday in Pomodoros by Rose Hendricks.
- Everybody plays – Hotel guest loyalty (and social good) through game mechanics by Armin Gross.
- Skyrim virtual reality demo uses Oculus Rift and omnidirectional treadmill by James Plafke.
- 7 Leadership Lessons From the SEALs Commander Who Got bin Laden by Bill Murphy Jr.
- Going All In on Proficiencies by Paul Fain.
- Applying the 6 Key Adult Learning Principles to Yourself by Jeff Cobb.
- Taking the Direct Path by Paul Fain.
- Online learning is ‘the blackboard of the future’ by Richard Garner.
- 4 Stages And 4 Effects Of Learning Technology by Terry Heick.
- The More I Lecture, The Less I Know If They Understand by Grant Wiggins.
- I’m Jamie Todd Rubin, and This Is How I Work by Tessa Miller.
- Know Thy Avatar: The Unintended Effect of Virtual-Self Representation on Behavior by Gunwoo Yoon & Patrick T. Vargas.
Effective Strategies for Increasing Citation Frequency by Nader Ale Ebrahim, Hadi Salehi, Mohamed Amin Embi, Farid Habibi Tanha, Hossein Gholizadeh, SeyedMohammad Motahar & Ali Ordi. (pdf)
Articles that struck a chord in February 2014 | tubarks